Monday, September 28, 2020

My Original Spiritual Mentor

Since I reached out to Jesus for help with alcoholism back in 1994, my life has certainly been interesting.  

Back then, though I had grown up in church, I was a spiritual lightweight.  I knew at the time that I needed to latch on to someone who could teach me, but wouldn't judge me.  While I was so very fortunate to have a wonderful pastor and many men of faith in my early years of this new walk, I knew I needed even more.

Billy Graham had always been a part of our family's conversation.  My dad and he grew up near one another and dad often wondered whether their paths may have crossed as boys.  He was a television icon in the 60's and 70's so he was a known and trusted quantity.

So I thought, what a better way to learn about him...and from him...than to read his own words.

Just As I Am by Billy Graham was my answer.  I read about his conversion. I read about his love for Jesus.  I read about his doubts and hopes and fears.  I read about his love for his wife and children.  I read about his calling and his dedication to that calling.  

And since, I have given him my ultimate compliment.  This keeper-of-books gave his book away for someone else to read.

If you're looking for a timeless message, read this book (and then give it to someone).



No comments:

Post a Comment